Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Miu Miu's first oracle



Photography has never been more popular and accessible. In an instant a hand phone becomes a camera (just like Transformer?). I say, some of these pictures are really good too. But can you be a serious photographer using a mobile phone camera? Well there is really no hard and fast rules in this matter. I guess it is people perceptions. It is like a surgeon cutting a patient with a kitchen knife.

I guess a good picture will always be a good picture, no? Someone said the best camera in the world is the one you are holding. That is why I always bring along my PnS (point and shoot) with the DSLR. The important thing is to get your shot. The quality of course is a different matter la.

Why do I start this blog? Well lately many friends have been asking questions about camera and photography. Guess I am saying the right things because they came back and ask some more!

Seriously there is really no two ways about getting better skills.

1. Read up as much as you can. There are thousands of photography articles in the net. Since the net is so accessible there is really no excuse.

2. Get to know people with the same passion. Pick each other brain. The more passionate they are the more willing they want to share. It’s just like golf, asks Tiger Wood about his stick and he will have plenty to tell!

3. And if you really like photography you will shoot any thing. Be it your fingers and toes! And believe me, the more you shoot the better you become. (Actually the more you shoot the more familiar you get with your camera. With familiarity you have better control and chances are you get better pictures).

4. I do not know about you but photography for me is something to enjoy, not something I need to study and pass examination. I know you can take a degree in this but for the most of us it is just play. And PLAY = FUN. Although sometimes you cannot escape the technicalities (after all it is science) but honestly the less of it the better! Why complicate things, right?

5. The only thing that you cannot learn is the ability to see things with your ‘eye’ (I do not mean the two peepers on your face). This, I am afraid is impossible to explain. Some people just have this ability to capture aesthetic in a visual form. Make sense? So look at as many photographs as possible and see how others people interpret their ideas. If you get inspired then go out and shoot some pictures!

Remember I am not a professional photography just a regular bloke who like fiddling with the camera and messing with digital imaging. I started with a Canon 350D in 2006 and is now using a 40D. Of course I would like to own a better camera (a common illness that afflicts most people in photography) but it is always the same old story. No money lah. Since I have not made any money selling any of my images, you can gauge how good I am. Well it will not stop me from fantasizing that one day I shall be the next Annie Leibovitz, just like my secret ambition of being the next American top male model!

So let’s get this Oracle going, ask and I may just reveal the answers and even some secrets to you.

6 comments:

pooja ori said...

tell me oh oracular perpetuala... how do i take pics of things that seldom see the light of day...?

Kayelmiumiu said...

Dear Pooja Ori ....

Haiz the oracle said this is exactly like 'if the mountain does not go to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain instead'. Likewise .... bring the light of day to the things. You never heard of 'flash' meh?

pooja ori said...

thats why I ask lor, sifu.. if i tau flesh then i bring mah...

Kayelmiumiu said...

Dear pooja ori

*piak, piak, piak*

Jason Yong said...

Bro, When should one upgrade oneself to a dslr camera ?

Kayelmiumiu said...

You should only upgrade to DSLR if you are serious about photography. It doesn't end with just buying the camera. There are lots of road ahead. If you are the occasional cameraman then I suggest you stick to your PnS.